Communities across the country are continuing to organize and advocate against the Trump administration’s cruel "zero tolerance" policy for immigrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border, including an executive order that directs the Department of Homeland Security to expand the detention of families and speed up their deportations. The order came amid public outrage over U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) separating children from their parents at the border.
It’s important to remember that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) have a long history of separating families and terrorizing people fleeing poverty and violence—and it’s time to put an end to the cruelty and dehumanization of immigrants by these agencies.
Here are 5 things you can do today to speak out against the Trump administration's inhumane immigration policies:
1. Tell Congress to stop ICE and Border Patrol!
Our elected officials need to hear from you today! Email your senators and representative, and tell them to stop using our taxpayer dollars for ICE and CBP.
And sign our petition urging Congress to take immediate steps to abolish ICE once and for all.
2. Call your senators and members of Congress : 202-224-3121.
Phone calls are an effective way to get the attention of your elected officials. Call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 to look up your senators and representatives. Once you're connected, use our talking points below to let them know where you stand:
- As your constituent, I am appalled at the Trump administration's detention and deportation of families who come to our country seeking refuge.
- ICE and Customs and Border Protection have a long history of tearing apart families and terrorizing communities.
- I urge you to stop funding these two agencies.
- Please work for policies that respect the dignity and rights of all people.
3. Urge your friends to take action on social media.
Share our graphic "Keep loved ones together. Stop ICE and Border Patrol" on Facebook or Twitter, and encourage your family and friends to speak out in this critical moment. You can also download graphics for social media here.
4. Download and use our "Keep loved ones together" and "Abolish ICE" signs for protests and actions.
Join actions in your city to show strong support for stopping ICE and Border Patrol. Use these signs to broadcast a message to elected officials, the media, and your community.
In cities across the U.S., AFSC provides legal services to immigrants facing detention and deportation; offers know-your-rights trainings to community members; works with communities to document abuses by ICE and Border Patrol agents; and supports immigrants in organizing for policies that welcome and respect all people. Please help us continue this vital work by donating today.