Join AFSC in memorializing the 521 Palestinian children killed in Gaza during Operation Protective Edge while demanding change.
We are asking individuals and groups to create displays of black pinwheels bearing the names and ages of the children killed this summer. Displays can be put up in front of homes, on college campuses, near places of worship, or in other public spaces.
Use the display to call attention to Israel’s attack on Gaza and the Gaza siege, to demand accountability for rights violations that occurred in Gaza, to call for an arms embargo on Israel, and to open conversations about boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS) campaigns.
Together we can bring change.
How to participate:
1. Purchase black pinwheels. (Pinwheels can be ordered online.)
2. Label pinwheels with the names and ages of the children (email@example.com for an up-to-date list). This is a powerful activity in and of itself and one that takes five or six people about three to five hours to complete. We recommend writing the names on masking tape using thin-tipped sharpie or similar permanent markers so that the labels will hold up in the rain.
3. Prepare signs and handouts. Create signs to accompany the display and materials to hand out if you are planning a public action. (See our resource on Operation Protective Edge.)
4. Set up your display. You can use string and tape measures to set up grid lines so that there will be room for people to walk between the lines of pinwheels. A hammer can be used to drive a thin stake or screwdriver into the ground to make holes for the pinwheels.
5. Take pictures! Use #GazaPinWheels to share your photos - and the story of your action - on social media, or send pictures and information to firstname.lastname@example.org. As more people participate, we'll compile an online resource with photos from around the country.
More way to get involved:
The U.S. government provides Israel with more than $3 billion in military funding annually. Call on Congress and the President to cut military aid and hold Israel accountable to international and U.S. law concerning human rights abuses.
Corporations such as Elbit Systems, Northup Grumman, Caterpillar, and HP provide Israel with weapons and other products. Learn more about our boycott and divestment campaigns.
AFSC has been working in Gaza since 1949. Join our mailing list to receive updates from the region, resources, and calls to action.