During AFSC's Centennial summit in April 2017, 20 workshops were presented by staff and partners to educate and empower participants to act on a variety of issues that AFSC programs address. The following documents were created as guides to support learning, hosting events, teaching others, contacting policy makers, and taking direct action after the summit had ended.
Advocating for peace in Palestine-Israel
- 5 ways to shift the narrative on Palestine from "Shifting narratives to bring social change: AFSC in Palestine 1948 to the present"
- 5 ways to support Palestinians through Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions from "Our response to the Palestinian call for boycott, divestment, and sanctions: U.S. perspectives"
- 5 things you can do to support the Gaza Unlocked Campaign
- 5 ways to change the narrative on war and violence from "How to change a narrative: a guide for activists and peacebuilders"
- 5 ways to resist militarism from "100 years of conscientious objection"
- 4 ways to support sustainable food practices from "Reclaiming resilience: lifting up traditional practices and growing sustainable communities in the face of climate disruption"
- 5 ways to support Somali youth in pursuit of peace from "Somalia youth choose peace against militarism"
- 5 ways to support excluded youth in Guatemala from "Peace puzzle: How young people work towards peace within a violent context"
- 5 things you can do to support North Korea
Building Economic Justice
- 5 ways to make peace-centered consumer decisions from "Business for peace: A global conversation on corporate power and people power"
- 5 ways to stay engaged in the struggle for economic justice from "Economic justice 101: what it is, why it matters, how to do it"
Defending Immigrant Rights
- 5 ways to stay engaged with immigration and the prison-industrial complex from "U.S. criminal 'justice' system and the profit of private prison"
- 5 ways to support the rights and dignity of border communities from "Resistance against the militarization of the U.S.-Mexico border"
- 7 steps to engaging your faith community on immigration from "Defending migrant rights through legal services, organizaing, and accompaniment"
- Five things your congregation can do to support immigrant justice
- 5 ways to challenge anti-Muslim violence from "Countering Islamophobia for allies"
- 5 ways to support Black and brown youth from "Brown solidarity for Black power in Trump times"
- 5 ways to undo racism from "Youth Undoing Institutional Racism Freedom School"
Ending Mass Incarceration
- 5 ways to challenge mass incarceration from "Dismantling the carceral state: Who's leading the movement? What's propping up the system?"
- 5 ways to advocate for families instead of incarceration from "Through the eyes, for their future: The impact of mass incarceration on children"
- 4 ways to confront mass incarceration from "Confronting mass incarceration in Arizona"
For Quaker meetings or churches
AFSC program staff have created the following documents to guide your Quaker meeting or church in supporting their work on some of our broad issues.
5 ways to implement Quaker social change ministry from "Quaker social change ministry: Reclaiming spirit-guided social change working alongside those most impacted"
- 5 things your congregation can do to support healing justice
- 5 things your congregation can do to support immigrant rights
- 5 things your congregation can do to help bring about lasting peace with justice in Israel & Palestine
- 5 things your congregation can do to Humanize, not Militarize
- 5 things your congregation can do to stop Islamophobia