Check out this Community Safety Toolkit - Preparing for the election and post for Washtenaw County, MI.
COVID-19 Update: This letter was sent on April 6, 2020 to Governor Whitmer and MDOC Director Washington, and this letter was sent on April 2, 2020 regarding COVID-19 and ventilators to Director Washington.
This letter was sent on March 16, 2020 to Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer with 63 organizational sign ons. We have over 800 individual signatories. It's still "live," so please sign on and we'll resend next week. Here is the COVID-19 People in Prison Connector Pod on Facebook to keep loved ones connected. Here are joint letters sent on March 13, 2020 by ACLU-MI from ACLU-MI, Safe & Just MI, and AFSC-MI to the Michigan Department of Corrections and all county jails. See this press release and article for more information.
The Michigan Criminal Justice Program works directly with people imprisoned in Michigan's State prisons to advocate for and with them around all kinds of issues related to conditions of confinement. Through this direct, relationship building and advocacy we position ourselves to raise up important priorities and work on policy and community responses connected to these priorities:
- ending life and long sentences while confronting violence and harm in our communities through holistic accountability,
- addressing conditions of confinement for LGBTQ people in prisons,
- helping people prepare for parole hearings and lifting up models of community accountability,
- working to eliminate laws that lead to the disproportionate imprisonment of Black and Brown people,
- addressing conditions of confinement for caregivers of children, including pregnant people in prisons,
- and raising awareness on the over-representation of people with serious mental illnesses in prisons in MI.
This work addresses the state violence of the criminal legal and imprisonment systems in our communities and works to disrupt the paradigm of punishment we live in and build on community efforts that lead to healing, wellness and full liberation for all.