Kansas City Peace Internship
|Deadline:||Dec 13, 2013|
|Location:||Kansas City, Missouri|
|Start Date:||Mar 3, 2014|
|End Date:||Jun 30, 2014|
American Friends Service Committee (AFSC), a non-profit Quaker peace and justice organization, (www.afsc.org/kansascity/ & http://afsc.org/video/kansas-city-interns-engage-youth-work-peace-and-justice) is looking for Peace Interns
Part-time (8-10 hours / week) Now – June 2014
Applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP.
The Intern will work with AFSC staff and volunteers to support Kansas City AFSC peace campaigns and engage youth from after-school, faith and high school settings in creative youth peacemaking and social change (e.g. If I Had A Trillion Dollars Youth Film Festival and If I Could Change The World spoken word project). Activities will focus on: increasing activism; promoting understanding of militarism and economic injustice; exposing how corporations and the 1% control U.S. policy; and deepen advocacy and visions of a just and peaceful world.
The Peace Intern will:
- · Receive training in peacemaking and social change
- · Help develop AFSC program materials that appeal to youth and young adults and utilize Twitter, Facebook and other social media to educate and involve youth in KC AFSC program activities
- · Recruit and involve high school and university-aged youth in peace trainings, creative social change projects and peace building campaigns
- · Support KC AFSC peacemaking campaigns and activities
- · Experience in organizing projects and working collaboratively with others
- · Knowledge of and commitment to peace and social justice
- · Ability to involve others in creative participatory educational and social change campaigns
- · Ability to utilize social media for education and organizing campaigns
- Leadership experience, effective oral and written communication and ability to understand and accept diverse points of view
- · Flexibility required to allow for varied meeting/activity schedules
A stipend of $9.25/hour will be provided.
If interested, submit a cover letter and resume including:
- Why do you want to be an AFSC Peace Intern?
- What skills and experiences would you bring to the position?
email@example.com 816 931-5256