The Trump administration is working on a new plan to detain immigrant families indefinitely. Trump’s proposed rule would supersede a court agreement called the Flores settlement, a decades-old agreement that limits how long children can be detained and requires standards of care for detention facilities holding children.
Now the Trump administration wants to build a system of indefinite family detention – and we must put a stop to it. Add your voice to the growing number of people telling the government: Immigrant families belong together and not in jail.
- Click here to publicly comment on Trump’s proposed rule. It’s titled “Apprehension, Processing, Care, and Custody of Alien Minors and Unaccompanied Alien Children.”
- Tell the government to reject any regulation that would allow the detention of immigrant children and families. Use your own words and write from your own values and experiences. Here are some points to consider:
- Keeping children in detention causes lasting trauma.
- Detention cannot be carried out humanely.
- Indefinite detention of immigrant families violates human rights, fosters abuse and mistreatment, and is expensive, impractical, and unnecessary.
- Protecting basic human rights is not a loophole.