Call for board and committee nominations
The American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) is seeking nominations for its Board of Directors, Corporation, and all Board and Regional Executive Committees and Task Groups.
- Board Committees seasons matters needing board attention and action and gives the board the advantage of advice and recommendations that have received deep reflection and analysis.
- The Corporation is AFSC's grounding in Quaker spirituality and action, and provide input into AFSC overall direction and appoint the Board of Directors.
- Regional Executive Committees maintain regional connections to programs and approve budgets and program plans each year.
- More information and the charges of each committee can be found here.
AFSC’s Standing Nominating Committee (SNC) is charged with recommending dozens of persons for service each year, drawing on the recommendations and names suggested by each of you and those in your Quaker, AFSC, and peace and justice communities.
Above: Three committee members in discussion after a meeting. Photo by James Wasserman.
Qualifications for service
- Membership in the Religious Society of Friends OR understanding and commitment to Friends values and testimonies.
- Ability to attend AFSC committee meetings regularly (AFSC will cover the costs up front or offer reimbursement.)
- Knowledge, understanding or experience with AFSC programs and philosophy.
- Understanding and commitment to a Spirit led method of conducting business.
- Commitment to support and participate in AFSC fundraising.
We also consider:
- AFSC’s Inclusion and Diversity goals
- Geographic residence
- Yearly Meeting representation
Persons 35 years and younger, those who self-identify as persons of color, LGBTQ, or as differently-abled are especially encouraged to apply.
Above: The Midwest Executive Committee and staff in the Indiana office pose after a meeting. Photo by Jon Krieg.
How to submit a nomination or recommendation
Visit the Governance Volunteer Recruitment Center to submit your name or that of someone else who might meet these criteria. Standing Nominating Committee will continue to accept nominations year round. For timely review and consideration for vacancies to be filled in the 2018-19 nomination year, submit no later than June 15.
We look forward to hearing from you as we search for the most qualified candidates called to serve the American Friends Service Committee. For questions, please contact the Governance Secretary at 215-241-7031 or email@example.com.