Skip to content Skip to navigation

Calling for Medicaid Expansion in PA

Calling for Medicaid Expansion in PA

Published: February 28, 2013

Calling for Medicaid Expansion in PA

Right now, Pennsylvania has a historic opportunity to offer 800,000 Pennsylvanians health insurance through Medicaid Expansion. This will provide peace of mind for thousands of low-income families and individuals, AND create hundreds of jobs, save the state billions of dollars, and strengthen our economy.

Through expansion, the federal government will pick up 100 percent of the cost to fund Medicaid through 2016. It will continue to cover 90 percent of costs after that, saving the state $38 billion in future years.

However, without expansion, working families and individuals will be left with no coverage -- ineligible for Medicaid and/or subsidies for health coverage. Without health insurance, individuals and families may turn to emergency services, putting a huge fiscal burden on the state. This will be especially devastating to our health care industry, causing hospital closures and catastrophic job losses. Our health system is in danger of losing $9 billion in federal funding without Medicaid expansion.

In his budget address, Governor Tom Corbett stated that he "could not recommend" Medicaid expansion for Pennsylvania. Activists and health advocates urge him to keep the door open and the dialogue moving. Fourteen other states have already opted-in and Medicaid expansion has support from key Republican legislators across the country.

 Draft letter to Legislators and or Governor Corbett:

 Expanding Medicaid

 I am writing to ask my elected officials to take advantage of the unprecedented opportunity Pennsylvania has to bring health care coverage to over half a million citizens by expanding our Medicaid program. The new health care law assures the Federal Government will pay the entire costs and then, eventually, the majority of the costs. Expanding Medicaid will save lives, create jobs, and boost our economy. It's the right thing to do.

 Letter should go to Gov. Corbett and or your local representative.