Apply to Be A 2013-14 KC Peace Intern
The Intern will work with AFSC staff and volunteers to support Kansas City AFSC peace campaigns and engage youth from after-school, faith, and high school settings in creative peacemaking and social change (e.g. If I Had A Trillion Dollars youth Film Festival and the If I Could Change The World Spoken Word Project). Activities will focus on: increasing activism; promoting understanding of militarism and economic injustice; exposing ways corporations and the 1% control U.S. policy and legislation; and deepening advocacy and visions of a just and peaceful world.
The intern will work eight to ten hours each week between late August 2013 and May 2014.
The Peace Intern will:
- Receive training in peacemaking and social change
- Help develop AFSC program materials that appeal to youth and young adults and utilize Twitter, Facebook and other social media to educate and involve youth in KC AFSC program activities
- Recruit and involve high school and university-aged youth in peace trainings, creative social change projects and peace building campaigns
- Support KC AFSC peacemaking campaigns and activities
- Experience in organizing projects and working collaboratively with others
- Knowledge of and commitment to peace and social justice
- Ability to involve others in creative participatory educational and social change campaigns
- Ability to utilize social media for education and organizing campaigns
- Leadership experience, effective oral and written communication and ability to understand and accept diverse points of view
- Flexibility required to allow for varied meeting/activity schedules
A stipend of $9.25/hour will be provided.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2013
If interested, submit a cover letter and resume including:
Why do you want to be an AFSC Peace Intern?
What skills and experiences would you bring to the position?
Send application materials to:
- American Friends Service Committee, 4405 Gillham Rd., KCMO 64110;
- Email: email@example.com