Unfinished Portraits Afghan War Memorial Event
October 7th will mark the 11th Anniversary of the start of the Afghan war. On October 6th the American Friends Service Committee with other area organizations will hold a memorial event including the display from 6pm to midnight of an art installation, Unfinished Portrait, an Iraq and Afghan war memorial by Priti Gulati Cox, a Salina, KS artist and reading and spoken word performances.
Unfinished Portrait is composed of small portraits of U.S. troops killed in the Afghan and Iraq wars and will be displayed outdoors from approximately an hour before sunset to midnight. As the time passes the portraits become more and more obscured by the darkness. At the same time more and more stars come out which Cox views as representing the uncounted civilian causalities of the wars.
During the approximately six hours of the exhibit, artists from the Writers Place, The Recipe Poetry Guild, Afghan community, veterans and elsewhere will perform “sets” of readings, spoken word, hip hop, poetry, and other performances reflecting on war, community violence, and hopes for peace.
- 6:00pm-Midnight Unfinished Portrait art installation
- 6:30 - 7:30pm Reflections by Veterans
- 7:30 - 8:30pm Reflections by members of the KC area Afghan Community
- 8:30 - 9:30pm Writers Place poets and writers
- 9:30 - 10:30pm Recipe Poetry Guild and friends
- 10:30 - 11:30pm Reading / performance of excerpts of war related material prepared by the artist, Priti Cox
The event is organized by the American Friends Service Committee and cosponsored by The Writers Place, Veterans for Peace-KC Chapter, Iraq Veterans Against the War-KC, The Recipe Poetry Guild and PeaceWorks.
American Friends Service Committee: 816.931-5256