The Network for Immigration Reform Now--a coalition of organizations including AFSC Iowa, Methodist Federation for Social Action, CCI, LULAC, the United Methodist Church and Las Americas/Trinity UMC--will be hosting a demonstration and press conference for "Stop Deportation Now" at 10:00 a.m. Friday, April 4, outside the Polk County Courthouse in Des Moines. Visit http://afsc.org/not1more for more about events across the county.
Speakers from community organizations and faith groups will be telling stories of the effects of deportation and calling on President Obama to "Stop Deportations Now."
Signs and banners will carry messages of "Not One More Deportation" and "Comprehensive Immigration Reform Now." Rain is forecast, but rain or shine, we will be outside carrying the message of "Stop Deportations Now." Signs will be available, or you can bring your own with one of the slogans.
Below are some ideas to do your own posters or download one from the Not1More website.
- 2 million deported and counting is un-American
- 1,088 families in Iowa lost a family member to deportation in a year
- Deportations cost to taxpayers $2 billion a year
- Separation of families is un-American
- Stop deporting parents of U.S. citizen children
- Congress should pass humane immigration reform now
- Keep families together, stop deportations now
For more information: Sandra Sanchez at 515-274-4851, ext. 11.