In 1997 AFSC's Board approved a statement on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples of the World.
- The American Friends Service Committee believes that the human rights of indigenous peoples are held in the collective of the community
- The American Friends Service Committee strongly supports right to self-determination as expressed in the Draft Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- The American Friends Service Committee supports the Draft Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples as it was submitted from the special Working Group on Indigenous Populations.
- The American Friends Service Committee also supports the full inclusion of indigenous peoples in all deliberations and sessions concerning the approval of the Draft Declaration.
- The American Friends Service Committee will continue to seek opportunities to contribute resources and experience to enable indigenous peoples' voices to be heard in international forums. We will continue to support domestic and international program work that furthers the recognition of the inherent collective rights of native peoples in the United States and of indigenous peoples throughout the world.
- The American Friends Service Committee will speak publicly in support of the rights of indigenous peoples.
- The American Friends Service Committee will share our leadings on this issue with Friends around the world to encourage work to support indigenous rights.
Sep 19, 1997